Friday, July 29, 2011

Last Week's Conversation with Mom

Me: "Did you read our blog?"
Mom: "Yes.  I don't like you being a runner."
Me: "Mom!  I'm not a "real" runner.  I'm just going to do this one race so I can say I did."
Mom: "That's what you said after the last one!"
Me: "I know, but this is a marathon.  It doesn't get bigger than this."
Mom: "It's just like a cigarette.  PUT IT DOWN!"

Don't get me wrong.  It's not that my mom wants to put a damper on my excitement or crush my once-subconscious life goal.  She is just being an over-protective mom.  Which isn't always a bad thing.  For example, because of her, I don't really know what she means by the above comment, since I've never smoked a cigarette in my life.  But, as my closest high school friends know full well, sometimes she can take it a bit far.  Like the time I came home from mini golf 5 minutes past my curfew and she asked me if I was dealing drugs.  I'm hoping that this is one of those "over-the-top" cases where she is trying to keep me from getting hurt, but doesn't really need to.

I'm doubting this just a little bit though, as I sit here icing my left foot.  I'm not sure if it's a sprain, strain, tendonitis, or what, but I do know it doesn't feel good and I haven't been able to run in a week.  I went to urgent care last Sunday to see what they thought and the only insight the doctor could offer me was this: "Don't run the marathon.  26.2 miles...that's not normal."  Somewhere my mom is reading this and smiling.

I'm hoping to be able to run my scheduled 11 miles tomorrow.  I'm going to see how it feels in the morning and go from there.  My main goal during this training is to stay free of any serious injuries, so I am determined to listen to my body (and my mom) and take as much time off as needed.  Even with a good chunk of missed miles, I still have plenty of time to be fully trained and ready to race on October 9th...but only if I continue to be careful and attentive.  I guess this is just another lesson in the potential benefits of being over-protective.  My safe and happy childhood, detention-free education*, and completely tobacco-free lungs... all much thanks to Mom...remind me you can [almost] never be too careful.

This week's conversation with Mom, after I asked if I could write about her asking if I was a drug dealer:
"That would not be good.  You can tell them that I said running is for horses and criminals."  LOL!  I love you , Mom!!

-Christie
  
*Minus the one time I put glue in my music teacher's hair.

No comments: