Friday, September 9, 2011

Hebrews 12:1-2

Sarah and I seem to be on hiatus again. :)  It's possible that we skipped all of our "short" runs this week.  We were scheduled to run two 5 milers and one 9 miler.  So a total of 19 miles.  And we did exactly 0 of them.  She did her 18 mile run on Monday, so she needed days off to recover.  I have been allowing my knee to heal after hurting it on my 18 miler run last Saturday.  So it wasn't exactly due to laziness.  But I admit that after I got hurt last weekend, one of the first thoughts to go through my head was how excited I was to have to miss out on some weekday runs. :)

Last week my dear friend, Jinger, (who inspired me toward and ran with me during the Half Marathon in June) told me that during her marathon training a few years back, it was right around 5-6 weeks pre-race day that she experienced burnout.  This comforted me so much because I realized that was exactly where Sarah and I were.  I know that as we approach our final few weeks of training (only 4 more to go!!!!), we will get our 2nd wind and bursts of nervous anticipation and excitement.  But these past few weeks, I've definitely been feeling a bit over it all.

This morning during my quiet time I came across a "Good Luck" card Jinger had given me the day before our Half Marathon.  In it she referenced a verse I know and love, Hebrews 12:1b-2.  The part I know by heart says "Run with endurance the race set before you..."  I turned to it in my Bible to re-read the entire passage.  Here is what it says:

"Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of God."

WOW.  How could I have missed all that?!  What an amazing reminder of what Jesus did for us.  He set His sights on God's incredible plan of redemption and love and endured death by crucifixion because of it.  And even though He had moments where He would have preferred a different route (Matthew 26: 36-46), He kept His eyes on the "finish line" and completed the ultimate test of endurance, faith, and love all in the name of the joy that would come in the end.

Good grief, I think I can roll myself out of bed, look to Jesus, and run 2 miles this morning.  I feel a revival coming on. :)
-Christie

1 comment:

Sarah said...

OK, that makes me feel so much better that your friend Jinger had burnout!! :) I know its OK not to be running this small milage, but I want to do it right... I know who am I right?? After my birth tonight/tomorrow I'm back on track, baby :)
Thanks for keeping it real, C. Once again remembering Who it is that gives us the strength to do this. That He's given us health, endurance, desire & support to do this crazy feat that makes us so happy.
He is just so good, isnt He??