Friday, August 19, 2011

Lazy Schemes and Long-Run Dreams

Wednesday night I was scheduled to do a 7 mile run (or so I thought...this was before Sarah and I discovered we're a week behind schedule.  Oops.).  I had mapped out my course earlier that day and was excited to try a new route.  Part of the route was a loop, and as I approached that part (about 1.5 miles in), I thought through the loop and determined that the way I had planned to go had more uphills and that if I went the opposite way that would mean more downhills and it would be smooth sailing.  I wasn't sure, as I didn't know the route all that well, but I could picture at least a few of the hills and it seemed like a pretty safe bet.  I'm not gonna lie...I jumped at the easy way out and approached the loop from the opposite direction.

All was good until I turned a corner and saw a GIGANTIC hill staring at me.  I had to laugh...that's what I get for trying to cop out!  I instantly decided to walk the hill (it was THAT big), but when I got to the bottom, lo and behold, "Apple Bottom Jeans" came on (woot! woot!).  So I ran that whole darn thing and never looked back (thank you, psychic shuffle!!).  Problem is, I don't think I looked side-to-side either, as apparently I missed my turn.

It took me quite a while to realize how off track I was, and by then there was no turning back.  I kept to the major street names that I knew and just kept going until I found my way back to my car.  It got dark quickly, and at one point, I actually had to chase down a poor stranger and ask to borrow his cell phone so I could call Josh and let him know I was still alive (and also still a good way from home).  As I finally made my way back to my car, I was so excited to blog about what I was sure was an accidental half-marathon.  Turns out it was only 9 miles.  But still a good payback for my attempt to be lazy!  P.S. No worries, I have since purchased a hydration belt with a pocket for my cell phone (and pepper spray!) for the next time I wind up lost in the dark. :-/

I'm about to head off to bed in preparation for our 15 mile run tomorrow morning.  I am cautiously optimistic about it...and really, really excited. :) :) :) :)  For some reason, I've decided that this is the turning point for our training: the moment it really becomes real.  Maybe it's because it's the furthest my feet have ever traveled.  Maybe it's because there's no [normal] reason someone would be running 15 miles unless they were training for a marathon.  Maybe it's because I'm kinda excited to say I ran through 4 cities before breakfast.  Whatever the reason, I think tomorrow will be huge for us.  I think, like Nicole alluded to on a previous post comment, it will be liberating and empowering.  I was talking to Sarah this afternoon and we were thinking about how 15 miles isn't something that people can just wake up and do.  It's a   c  r  a  z  y  distance.  Something one can only do if they've trained for it.  If they've worked their butts off (not as literally as I would have liked) to get to that point of mental and physical endurance.  It's just not normal.  And I think that's what I like about it.  Bring.  It.  On.  Can't wait to wake up, put on my 26.2 t-shirt, and hit the ground running.  Sleep tight!
-Christie

No comments: